Monday, September 15, 2008

A LITTLE BIT LONGER.....




O.k. everybody, you are now listening to a song by the Jonas Brothers. YES, the Jonas Brothers!! Can't say I've ever been a fan, until NOW! About a month ago I heard that Nick Jonas has Juvenile Diabetes like Michael. Anytime I hear the word diabetes, all of my attention is directed to the source. He was on Regis and Kelly and shared part of his story and said that he wrote a song about his life with diabets. I immediately went to the computer to listen to it.....instant chills.
This song hit home like no other. It starts.... "got the news today, Dr. said I had to stay, a little bit longer and I'll be fine." I remember when Ranse and I got the news in Mexico that Michael had been diagnosed with diabetes and was in I.C.U. Not understanding what our new lives would bring, I thought that Michael would have to stay at the hospital until he felt better and then could go home to his normal life. Once we finally arrived at the hospital(not knowing anything about juvenile diabetes) and witnessed Michael screaming anytime a nurse walked into the room because she had to prick his finger or give him an insulin shot, I finally asked "how much longer will he need these shots?" I think I went into shock when she told me "He'll need these the rest of his life" My heart sank and I instantly felt like I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders. I'll never forget how I felt when she told me that and when I hear this song it takes me back to that day.
The song goes on to say "you don't know what you got, till it's gone". We truly don't, one minute you can be perfectly healthy and the next minute, fighting some awful disease.
Another part of the song that stands out to me is when the chorus says "you don't even know". Juvenile Diabetes is one of those diseases that I don't think many people really understand. Believe me I had no clue until I had no choice but to learn. I am still in the learning stages a year and a half later. I've decided though, that I was not going to sit back and be quiet about it. I feel as a mother, it is my responsibility to get the word out about this disease and do my part to help find a cure. I want my son to one day, not rely on insulin injections to get through the day. I also don't want any other children to have to endure a life with diabetes. It's not any fun!
As a mother of a young child with diabetes, I worry every minute of every day. Michael doesn't come to me and say "I'm not feeling good right now", it's a total guessing game on my part. I look forward to him getting older and being able to notice the symptoms of when his blood sugar is high or low. Luckily for me, I have the gift of the spirit with me. I've been prompted to test him while he was sleeping in the middle of the night a few times and luckily I followed those promptings. His (numbers) as I call it, were very low and I had to wake him and get him to eat or drink something to get his numbers up. Blood sugar levels that get too high or too low could be fatal.
Michael is a trooper! He is so positive about his situation. I asked him earlier what he thought about having diabetes, just curious to see what a four year old would say and he told me " It's good mommy, it helps me to be healthy because I can't eat candy". I guess that's one way to look at it, the cup is half full!

We'll just keep waiting "A little bit longer".

I was going to end this blog with that quote above, but I can't go without sharing some of the signs and symptoms that come with diabetes. Any child can get it, no one is immune, so if you see any of these be sure to see a doctor. Extreme thirst, extreme hunger, constantly needing to go pee, instant weight loss, sweet odor to breath, fatigue or go into shock.

6 comments:

Ellis Family said...

I don't even know what to say, other than I'm soooooo sorry for Michael to have to have this and for you guys to have to deal with it :( All I can can say is that you guys are an AMAZING and strong family and if anyone could take this head on, it's YOU! They say everything happens for a reason and maybe it takes you and your desire and strength (a.k.a. "I'll your ass" attitude) to find a cure! I love you guys! I need to mail the check too - when's it due? LYLAS!
G

Lyndsay said...

Hey Shelly! That was a really great song. Very fitting I would say. I'm a little bit of a baby but I had a few tears reading your post. I can't imagine what you guys must have been feeling when you got the call about Michael. Not to mention the pain of seeing him in the hospital. I know that Michael being diagnosed has completely changed your lives and I hope and pray that they do find a cure for this and that one day, Michael will not have to worry about his levels in order to survive. WE love you guys and know that you are stong. It's too easy to sit back and let others do the work. I'm proud of you for doing your part in trying to find a cure! You're amazing!

jillpill said...

Your sister Lyndsay is one of my friends from Virginia. She told me to check out your blog. My little Carter is diabetic too. Thank you for this post. I know exactly how you feel! We'll both be waiting a "little bit longer." Hang in there and know that you're not alone. I too tell everyone I know everything about diabetes. Carter is great to show off his "checker" (glucose monitor) and insulin pump. Our little guys are tough tough tough!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing that. diabetes run in my family and my mom said they are working on something new. sounds promising, I won't give up hope. we love you guys

jenny said...

Ohhh, I'm sorry you have had to go through all that. I love Michaels attitude, it is very inspiring! You guys have done a great job and have educated all of us! Because of your story, you have helped my family. You Rock!!!!

Kimberly said...

Shelly--You say you got 'instant chills'....you created that for me.I found your blog through Jenny's blog and this was the first post I saw. The song was perfect..as well as your words. You have such an AWSOME family. It is fun to see how your kids have grown..I am trying to start my own blog--You have truely inspired me!!
Michael is so very blessed to have you and Ranse as his parents--as are your other kids. You are a great example of the type of family God wants us all to be:)